WARNINGS FROM ISRAEL’S HISTORY
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
Key verse: 10:11
“These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.”
1. By reading the following Old Testament passages, what are the first historical facts about Israel Paul did not want his readers to be ignorant? “Under the cloud and passed through the sea v1 (Ex. 14:15-22) “All ate the same spiritual food” v3 (Ex.16:2-5, 13 -18)“For they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ” V4 (Ex 17:1-7) Why is it important we should not be ignorant about Israel’s Old Testament history?
2. Even though it is evident Christ was at first with the Israelites, what did Paul write showing God was not pleased with them in the end? (5) What does this verse teach about the importance that Christians should place on the matter of living to please God?
3. What is the first spiritual lesson we should learn from the bad example of the Israelites in the matter of pleasing God? (6) How can we guard our hearts from being set on evil things? (Heb.3:1, Col.3:1, 2 and Phil.4:8, 9)
4. Think about how the Israelites did not please God. Read Ex.32:1-14. How could the Israelites become idolaters even though God had performed such awesome miracles time and again before their very eyes? Do you think God is pleased with indulging in pagan revelry? Why?
5. Read Numbers 25:1-9. What led the Israelites to commit sexual immorality in such huge numbers? What was the result? After reading this, why should we not commit sexual immorality?
6. Read Numbers 21:4-8.How did the Israelites test the Lord? At what times are we tempted to test the Lord? Read Numbers 16:42-49. Why should we overcome our temptation to grumble?
7. Why did God record the failings of Israel’s forefathers? (11) What is the first step we should take in avoiding falling into temptations? (12) How can we know for certain God will always provide a way out when we are tempted? (13)