GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Key Verse: 5:18
ďGive thanks in all circumstances, for this is Godís will for you in Christ Jesus.Ē
1. Paul pioneered the church in Thessalonica on his second missionary journey in about A.D. 50. See Acts 17:1-9. Why did Paul leave? Why do you think he wrote them two letters?
2. Read verse 16. See also Php. 4:4. Contrast worldly joy with the joy Paul speaks of. How can we rejoice even in times of suffering? Where does this joy come from? (Gal 5:22) Think about Mary who rejoiced even when her dream was shattered (Lk. 1:31, 46-47).
3. Read verse 17. How did Paul live up to this? (Ac. 16:22-25) How did Jesus live up to this? (Mk 1:35; Lk 3:21; 6:12; 21:37; 23:46)
4. Read verse 18. What happens if we donít give thanks? (Ro 1:21) Can you give examples of those who gave thanks in difficult circumstances? (Job 1:21; Lk 22:17, 19)
5. What reasons can you think of to thank God? (Ac 14:17; Ps 136:1; 1 John 4:9-10; Lk 17:15-19; 1 Pe 1:3-4; Eph 2:10)