DAVID LEARNS GOD’S HEART
2 Samuel 16:1–18:33
Key Verse: 18:33
1. As David fled Jerusalem, what did Ziba do, and of what did he accuse Mephibosheth? (16:1–3) What did David decide? (16:4)
2. How did Shimei curse and humiliate him and his men? (16:5–8,13) How did David respond differently from Abishai? (16:9–10) Why did he receive the cursing like this? (16:11–12) What can we learn from David here?
3. What two pieces of advice did Ahithophel give? (16:20–17:4) How did the first one fulfill prophecy? (16:22; 12:11–12) How did Hushai persuade Absalom to change his mind? (16:15–19; 17:5–13) Why did Absalom listen to him? (17:14)
4. How did God answer David’s prayer? (15:31) How did David escape, and what did Ahithophel do? (17:14–23)
5. Who was Amasa? (17:24–26) At this difficult time, who came to help David? (17:27–29) As he sent out his army, what order did David give? (18:1–5) How did Absalom die? (18:6–17) Why did Joab ignore David’s order and kill Absalom? What was Absalom’s legacy? (18:18; 1Sa15:12)
6. Who was Ahimaaz and what was his motive in wanting to run to tell David the news? (15:27,36; 17:17–21; 18:19–28) What was the Cushite’s report? (18:29–32)
7. Read 18:33. How did David respond? How did David’s mourning for Absalom reflect God’s own heart for sinners? (Eze33:11; Rom. 10:21; 2Pe3:9) What should we learn here?