A WORKMAN APPROVED BY GOD
2 Timothy 2:1-19
Key Verse: 2:15
1. Read verses 1-2. What does it mean to be strong in this grace? (Phil. 4:13) What does Paul teach Timothy by word and example about raising disciples? How can one be qualified to teach others? (1 Tim. 3:2; Titus 1:9) What is God’s method for propagating the gospel message?
2. Read verses 3-4. Why did Paul use a soldier as a metaphor of reliable men? What should we learn from the soldier? How can we please our commanding officer? What are civilian pursuits? Who is our commanding officer? (Matt. 28:18)
3. Read verse 5. Think about an athlete. What is the condition to win the victor’s crown? What happens to all who fail to discipline themselves to observe the rules? Who will win the victor’s crown? (1 Cor. 9:24-27; 2 Tim 4:7-8)
4. Read verse 6. Think about a farmer. What kind of image do you find when you think about a farmer? What is the ultimate reward for hardworking and diligent Christians? (11-12)In what respect do all Christians look like a hardworking farmer? (John 4:35-36; Mark 4:14; 1 Cor. 3:6)
5. Read verse 8. Who is the ultimate example of endurance leading to success? Why is it important to remember Jesus when we face trials of many kinds? (Heb. 12:2-3)
6. Read verses 9-10. How important was it to Paul to not compromise the gospel? What does it mean that "God's word is not chained"? Read verses 11-13. This is one of Paul’s trustworthy-sayings. What is our ultimate reward when we endure hardship? (12a, Romans 8:17, Rev. 3:21)
7. What must one do to become an excellent Bible teacher? (15) What is “godless chatter”? How can one avoid it? (14, 16) What warning did Paul give about Hymenaeus and Philetus? Why was their teaching dangerous? (16-18) Read verses 18-19. What is the Christian’s best defense against godless and false teachings? Why?