JESUS IS THE CHRIST
Key Verse: 17:3
“...explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead. ‘This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Christ.’ he said.”
1. Read verses 1-2. Where did Paul and Silas go from Philippi? When they arrived
there, where did they begin their ministry? How long were they there?
2. Read verses 2-4. What was the main point of Paul’s teaching? Why did the Christ have to suffer? (Isa 53:4,5; 10-12) Why did he have to rise from the dead? (Ro 1:4; 4:25) What did Paul proclaim? (Jn 1:29) What was the result?
3. Read verses 5-9. After an initial success, what happened? Why were the Jews jealous? Of what did they accuse the apostles? What does this tell us about gospel work? Who was Jason? What happened to him?
4. Read verses 10-15. Where did they go from Thessalonica? What does it mean that the Bereans were of noble character? What was the result of the ministry there? What can we learn from them? What happened to interfere with the ministry?
5. Read verses 16-18. Why was Paul in Athens alone? Why was he distressed at the atmosphere in Athens? Where and to whom and what did he preach? About what did the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers dispute?
6. Read verses 19-21. How were the Athenians different from the Bereans? Read
verses 22-34. What were the main points of Paul’s sermon in the Areopagus?
What point stirred up the most controversy?
7. What was the result of Paul’s ministry in Athens? What can you learn from him?