Key Verses: 6:3,4
“Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
1. Read verses 1-4. As the church grew, what problem arose? (1) (How were the
Hebraic Jews different from the Grecian Jews?) How did the apostles decide to
deal with the problem? Why was this an important decision?
2. Read verses 5-7. Who were the seven men chosen to be stewards of the ministry? What were their qualifications? (3) What do their names suggest about them? How was their appointment confirmed?
3. What was the result? (5,7) What does this show about the importance of responsible stewardship?
4. Read verses 8-10. What kind of man was Stephen? Why did opposition arise against him? Why did these Greek-speaking Jews become more angry?
5. Read verses 11-15. Why and how did these Jews plot against and lie about Stephen? How did they escalate their campaign against him? What was their intention when they brought him before the Sanhedrin?
6. How did these attacks affect Stephen? What can we learn from these events?