MELCHIZEDEK BLESSES ABRAM
Key verse 14:19,20
1. Read 14:1-7. Who was Kedorlaomer and what was his position in the political structure of that region? Where was his kingdom? Who were his allies? Why did he go to war? How extensive was his campaign as described in verses 5-7? (Look at a map if possible.)
2. Read verses 8-12. Who were the kings allied with Bera king of Sodom? Where did the big battle between the 4 kings and the 5 kings take place? Who won?
3. Read 13-16. What did Abram do? Why? Look at a map and find the extent of this war. What was the outcome? How might Abram’s involvement have changed his relationships with the Canaanites? What temptations might this victory present to him?
4. Read verses 17-18. Who were the two kings that came to meet Abram after he returned from defeating Kedorlaomer? (Heb 7:1-3) How were they different? In what respect do they represent two alternative life directions before Abraham?
5. Read verses 19-24. How did Melchizedek bless Abram? What did he teach Abram about God? About his recent great victory? How did Abram respond to Melchizedek’s blessing? (20b,22) In what sense did the tithe represent a pledge of fealty, a commitment?
6. What did the king of Sodom suggest about the disposition of the spoils of war? What was Abraham’s response? What does this show about his faith in God and in God’s blessings?