Key verse: 18:19
1. Read 18:1-8. Who visited Abraham? How did he and his household show hospitality to the guests? What does this event show about Abraham? About the Lord?
2. Read 18:9-15. Why had the Lord come to visit? Why did he ask about Sarah? What was the good news? (17:15-16,21) Why did Sarah need this visit from Lord? How and why did the Lord rebuke her? What did he want her to learn?
3. Read 18:16-21. Why did the Lord decide to tell Abraham about his plan for Sodom? What lesson about God should Abraham’s descendants learn from God’s dealing with Sodom? (19)
4. Read 18:22-33. What was Abraham’s prayer topic? Why was he so concerned about Sodom? How many times is “righteous” or “right” repeated? What did Abraham say about himself? What was the basis of his request? What can we learn here about intercession?
5. Read 19:1-3 Compare and contrast Lot’s hospitality to the angels with that of Abraham. Read verses 4-11. How did the people of Sodom treat Lot and his guests? Were there as many as ten righteous men in the city? How had Lot lived in Sodom? (See 2Pe 2:7,8)
6. Read 19:12-22. How did the angels show God’s grace to Lot? Why was it so hard for him to leave? Read verses 23-29. What happened to Sodom? To Lot’s wife? Why was Lot spared?
7. Why was the marriage problem of Lot’s daughters so severe? (31) What’s
wrong with following custom? What was the tragic fruit of this family? (19:30-38)
What can you learn from contrasting the faith and lives of Abraham and Lot?