GOD TESTS ABRAHAM
Key Verse: 22:18
1. Read verses 1-2. How did God call Abraham? Why? What does Abraham’s response show about his attitude toward God? What did God ask Abraham to do? Why?
2. Read verses 3-5. How and when did Abraham respond to God’s command? Why did he not tell the servants or Isaac what he intended to do? What do Abraham’s actions show about his faith in God?
3. Read verses 6-8. What did Abraham and Isaac carry up the mountain? What did Isaac ask? What does this show about him? In what way was Abraham’s answer prophetic? How did he plant faith in Isaac?
4. Read verses 9-12. How did Abraham’s actions show his obedience? What did the angel of the Lord call out from heaven? What does it mean to “fear God”?
5. Read verses 13-14. How did the Lord provide? What did he call that place and why? What lesson of faith did Abraham and Isaac learn through this event?
6. Read verses 15-19. What does it mean that the Lord swore by himself? (Heb
6:13-17; Isa. 45:23) In what respects was God’s blessing similar to and
how was it different from the earlier covenant promises? (12:2,3,7; 13:15-16;