Mark Verse 9:35
* A TRULY GREAT MAN IS ONE WHO SERVES (9:33-37)
1. Why did the disciples not want to answer the question Jesus asked them? Why do men struggle to be great? (Ge.1:27,28)
2. What are the two basic qualifications for becoming a truly great man? (35) Spiritually, what does it mean to be the very last? (cf.Ja.4:6; think about Moses [Nu.12:2] and Paul [1 Ti.1:15])
3. What does it mean to be "servant of all"? How did Jesus illustrate this in verses 36,37? Why is this the mark of a great man?
* A TRULY GREAT MAN MUST BE BROADMINDED (9:38-41)
4. Look at verse 38. Why did John try to stop the man who was driving out demons in Jesus' name? What does this show about him? What did Jesus say about this? What principle did he teach them and us?
* A TRULY GREAT MAN KNOWS THE SERIOUSNESS OF SINNING (9:42-50)
5. How serious a matter is it to cause someone else to stumble? Why is this such a serious matter?
6. In verses 43-49, how does Jesus teach the seriousness of sin? Does cutting off the offending member solve the sin problem? What is Jesus' point in saying such extreme things?
7. What does it mean to be a salty Christian? Think about the function of salt. What does this teach us about the Christian's task?
* A TRULY GREAT MAN MUST NOT MAKE USE OF THE LAS (10:1-12)
8. How did the Pharisees try to make use of the law? How did they try to put Jesus on the spot? What did Moses teach about divorce and why did he make such a rule?
9. What did Jesus teach them about marriage? On what did he base his teaching? How is God's view of marriage different from man's? Why did the disciples keep on asking about this? What did Jesus teach them about the motive of divorce? (10-12)
* A TRULY GREAT MAN I$ LIKE THE LITTLE CHILDREN (10:13-16)
l0.What made Jesus indignant with his disciples? What did he teach them? Why must we be like little children if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven? What does it mean that Jesus blessed the children?