HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
Key Verse: 11:9b
* JESUS' TRIUMPHAL ENTRY (1-10)
1. Why was Jesus going to Jerusalem? (Jn.1:29) Where were Bethany and Bethphage and the Mount of Olives? How did Jesus prepare to make his triumphal entry into Jerusalem? Why? (Zec.9:9) What does this show about him?
2. Why might the command he gave two of his disciples be difficult to obey? What were they to say if someone tried to stop them? How does this event show the Lordship of Jesus?
3. What did the disciples do? What can we learn from their obedience? What did they teach the owner of the colt about God's sovereignty?
4. How did the people respond when Jesus entered Jerusalem? (7-10) What does "Hosanna" mean? What does this suggest about the meaning of this event? (Heb.2:14b,15)
5. What else do their songs teach about Jesus' kingdom? Why is this called the "Triumphal Entry"? (1 Ki.1:28-40; Zec.9:9) What does this reveal about the character of Jesus' Messianic kingdom? (Isa.11:6-9; Ro.8:21) About Jesus himself? (Mt.11:28,29) .
* JESUS CLEARS THE TEMPLE (11-19)
6. After arriving in Jerusalem, what was the first thing Jesus did?
What do you think he saw? What did he do?
7. What happened the next morning on the way back to the city? How was the fig tree like the temple? How might this event be a warning to the disciples and the religious leaders?
8. What did Jesus do when he reached the temple? Why was he so indignant? What does this event show about Jesus' righteousness?
9. What did he teach them about the temple's purpose? What did the condition of the temple reveal about the spiritual condition of the nation and its leaders?
10. How did the religious leaders and the people respond? What should we learn from this event?