THE PARABLE OF THE TENANTS
Key Verse 12:1b
* THE OWNER AND THE TENANTS (1-9)
1. To whom and in what context did Jesus speak this parable? (11:27-33)
2. How did the owner prepare his vineyard? What did he expect from the vineyard?
3. Who is the owner and what does the vineyard represent? (Isa.5:1,2a,7) What does this suggest about the basic relationship between God and his people? What does it mean that he has a plan for them?
4. What privileges did the owner give the tenants? When and why did the owner send servants to the tenants? How did the tenants treat the servants? Why?
5. Who do the tenants represent? The servants? (Am.3:7) What does this tell us about Israel's past history? What was God's mission for his people? (Ro.3:2; Isa.2:2; Mic.4:1,2)
6. How might the owner have acted toward the tenants? (See 2 Sa.10) Instead, whom did he send? Why? What does this show about him?
7. How did the tenants treat the son? What was their reasoning? What was Jesus predicting in this part of the parable?
8. What would the owner of the vineyard do? Why did the tenants become so stupid? (Ro.1:21) Who are the others to whom he gave the vineyard? What can we learn from this? (1 Th.5:16-18)
* THE REJECTED STONE (10-12)
9.Why did Jesus quote Psalm 118:22,23? (Ac.4:10,11) How did Jesus become the capstone or cornerstone? What can we learn here about how God does his work?
10. What can we learn from Jesus' faith? How can we be stewards of God's world?