THE DEATH OF JESUS
Key Verse 15:34
* THE CRUCIFIXION OF JESUS (16-32)
1. How and why did the Roman soldiers mock Jesus? How did their mockery emphasize his kingship and how did their treatment of him fulfill scripture? (Isa.53:3-5) What does this mean to us? (1 Pe.2:24,25)
2. Who was Simon? How might his experience in Jerusalem change his life? (Note the names of his sons [Ro.16:13; Acts 13:1]
3. Describe the place of execution. Why do you think Jesus refused the painkilling drug? What does "crucify" mean? What did the soldiers do? What does this show about them?
4. Read verses 25-32. What do the facts about Jesus' death recorded here teach us about who Jesus really is and what he came to do? What does it mean that he died as a sinner among sinners?
5. What is the challenge and temptation to Jesus in the words of the mockers (29-32)? How did the chief priests, Pilate, and the soldiers, and even the disciples, try to save themselves? Why did Jesus not?
* THE DEATH OF JESUS (33-41)
6. Note the time. (25,33) What was the response of nature to Jesus' death? What might this mean? (33)
7. What did Jesus cry out at the ninth hour? What does this mean? What was the most painful thing about the crucifixion? (34,35; Jn.1:29) Why did he do it? (1 Pe.2:24,25) How did the people react? (36)
8. What happened when Jesus cried out and breathed his last? What does the torn curtain mean? (Ex.25:22; Heb.4:16; 6:20) What was the centurion's testimony?
9. How did the women of Galilee show their love for Jesus? How did they share his suffering and prepare to be resurrection witnesses?
* THE BURIAL OF JESUS (42-47)
10. How did the burial of Jesus confirm the fact of Jesus' death? How did Joseph reveal his faith and set the scene for the resurrection?