THE BEGINNING OF THE GOSPEL
Key Verse 1:15
* THE GOSPEL OF JESUS BEGAN WITH PROPHECY (1-8)
1. According to verse 1, what is this chapter about? 10:45 is the key verse of Mark's Gospel. What do these 2 verses tell us about Jesus?
2. What is the significance of Jesus' gospel beginning with prophecy?
3. How did John fulfill that prophecy? In what respect did his baptism of repentance prepare the way for the Lord?
4. How did people respond to John's preaching? Why do you think the response was so widespread?
5. Describe John's lifestyle. Why did he live so simply? How might this have affected his mission? What can we learn from John?
6. What was his message? (7,8) How did he compare himself with Jesus?
* THE GOSPEL BEGAN WHEN JESUS PREPARED HIMSELF (9-13)
7. How was Jesus' ministry inaugurated? What was the significance of his baptism by John? Of the Spirit's descent on him? Of the voice from heaven?
8. Why was it necessary that he be tempted by Satan? Why did angels minister to him? What does his temptation and victory mean to us?
* THE GOSPEL BEGAN WITH THE MESSAGE OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD (14,15)
9. What does the mention of John's imprisonment suggest about the environment in which Jesus began his ministry?
l0. What was basic message of good news? Why is this such good news? What does Jesus mean by, "the time has come"? By " the kingdom of God is near"? What does it mean to repent? To believe?
* THE GOSPEL BEGAN WITH CHOOSING DISCIPLES (16-20)
11.What kind of men did Jesus call to be his first disciples? Why? What did he call them to do? What would he do for them? How did they respond? What can we learn here about being Jesus' disciples?