JESUS CALLS THE TWELVE APOSTLES
Key Verse 3:13,14a
* JESUS DEFENDS HIS DISCIPLES' CAUSE (2:23-28)
1. What did Jesus' disciples do one Sabbath? Why? Of what did the Pharisees accuse them? (See Ex. 20:8-11) How and why did they miss the point of the law? How did Jesus defend his disciples' cause (1Sa 21)?
2. What else did Jesus teach in verses 27,28 about the true meaning of the Sabbath? What is real rest? Who is the center of the Sabbath?
* JESUS HEALS A MAN WITH.A SHRIVELED HAND (3:1-12)
3. What was the serious life problem of the man Jesus met in the synagogue one Sabbath? Who else was in the synagogue, watching Jesus and watching this man? Why?
4. How was Jesus' view of this man different from that of the Pharisees? How could he have avoided a confrontation? What did he say to the man? Why?
5. How did Jesus both challenge and try to help the Pharisees?(4) What did his question mean?
6. Why was Jesus so distressed and angry at their silence? What did he say and do? How did Jesus teach the true meaning of the Sabbath through this event? How did the Pharisees react? Why?
7. After this event, where did Jesus and his disciples go? How did his ministry grow? What does this reveal about the people of that time?(7-12)
* JESUS APPOINTS THE TWELVE APOSTLES (3:13-30)
8. What did Jesus do then he saw the desperate situation of the times?(13,14) Why? What kind of people did Jesus call to be his disciples? (Name them and think about each one.)
9. What does "disciple" mean? What does "that they might be with him" mean? Think about the purpose of Jesus' discipline (Matt. 11:28-30). What does it mean that he designated them "apostles"? What was their mission?
l0. When Jesus ministered to the people, how did they respond? When he obeyed the will of God, how did family, friends, and religious leaders try to hinder his work? How serious a sin was this and why?