JESUS TEACHES THEM IN PARABLES
Key Verse 4:11a
* THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER (1-20)
1. Describe the scene. What method of teaching did Jesus use? What is a parable? Why did Jesus use parables?
2. Why did the disciples later ask about the parables?(10-12) What comfort did Jesus find in the word of God? (12; Isa.6:9,10) Why is the secret of the kingdom given only to disciples?
3. In the parable what does the seed represent?(14; 1 Pe.1:23-25) What should be our attitude toward God's word? (Jn.6:67,68; 2 Ti.3:15-17)
4. What do the four soils represent? Why is what we sow in the soil of our minds important?
5. What happens to the seed sown on the path? What kind of mind does the path represent?(15; 1Jn.2:15-17) What happens to the word in a rocky place? What kind of mind does this represent? (16,17)
6. What happens to the seed sown in a thorny field? What kind of mind does this represent? (18,19) What happens to seed sown in good soil? (20) How can we be good soil? (Ps.1:1,2)
* THE LAMP ON A STAND (21-25)
7. What is the self-evident truth Jesus states? How is a lamp on a stand like the word of truth? How can we "consider carefully what we hear"? Why should we?
* THE PARABLES OF THE SEEDS (26-31)
8. What is the kingdom of God like? (26,31) What secret of the kingdom of God does the parable of the growing seed teach us?
9. How is the kingdom of God like a mustard seed? What practical application can you find for this secret of the kingdom?