FOR SUCH A REPLY
Key Verse 7:29
* THE JEWISH TRADITIONS CONCERNING "CLEAN AND UNCLEAN" (1-23)
1. Why did the Pharisees criticize Jesus' disciples this time? How serious was the problem of "clean and unclean" to the Jews? (Lev.11-15; Num.19)
2. What was the original purpose of the tradition of the elders? How did the Pharisees of Jesus' day use the traditions? (1-5)
3. How did Jesus rebuke their hypocrisy? Why did he call them hypocrites? (6-8) What does the quotation from Isaiah (6,7) mean?
4. According to Jesus, how had the Pharisees treated the commands of God? What is the difference in the commands of God and the traditions of men? What example did Jesus give of their arbitrary use of the law?
5. What did Jesus teach the crowd about what makes a man unclean? Why were his disciples so dull in understanding what Jesus said? According to Jesus, what makes a person unclean? Why?
* THE FAITH OF A PHOENICIAN WOMAN (24-30)
7. What was the woman's problem? Why might it have been hard for her to come to Jesus? Why might being a Gentile make it harder?
8. How did Jesus answer her? How was Jesus' answer a test of this woman's faith? How did she respond? What does this response reveal about her faith in Jesus? About her inner character?
9. Why was Jesus moved by her reply? What did he do for her? What does this event teach us about Jesus?
l0. What can we learn from this Gentile woman about how to pray? About the importance of praying for others?