JESUS FEEDS THE FOUR THOUSAND
Key Verse 8:20
* JESUS' COMPASSION (1-4)
1. Where and when had Jesus fed a similar crowd? (6:30-44) Where did this event take place? What had Jesus been doing previous to the gathering of this crowd?
2. Why do you think the crowd had gathered? What did Jesus do to serve them? What was his attitude toward the crowd? What did he want to do for them? Why? What should we learn from Jesus?
3. Why did Jesus say what was on his heart to his disciples? How did they respond? What shows that they had made little progress since the feeding of the 5,000? What had they forgotten?
* THE MIGHTY WORK OF GOD (5-9)
4. How did Jesus help his disciples? Why did he ask them how many loaves they had? What did they reply?
5. What did Jesus do with the loaves and fish when they brought them to him? What was the result? (Compare with 6:30-44) What should the disciples have learned through these events?
* A SENSE OF HISTORY (10-21)
6. Where did Jesus and the disciples go? How did the Pharisees try to test Jesus? What does this show about them? Why did Jesus sigh deeply? Can you think of some modern sign-seekers?
7. How and why did Jesus warn his disciples about the bad influence of the Pharisees and Herod? How did the disciples interpret his warning? What was on their minds?
8. What did Jesus see as their spiritual problem? What simple test did he give them, and how did they answer? What was the purpose of this test?
9. What did Jesus want to teach them? Why is a sense of history so important? How can I have a sense of history?