WHO DO YOU SAY I AM?
Key Verse 8:29
* YOU ARE THE CHRIST (27-30)
1. Where were Jesus and his disciples? What question did he ask them? What was their answer?
2. What was people's general view of Jesus? What did they mean when they compared him to John the Baptist? To Elijah? (1Ki.18:16-40) To on of the prophets? Is there a general view of Jesus in our day?
3. What was Jesus' second question? Why should the disciples' view of Jesus be different from that of other people? In what way is this subjective question more difficult to answer?
4. How did Peter answer? What does "Christ" mean? (Is.9:6,7; 11:10; Mt.1:21) What is the important difference in Peter's answer and the opinions of other people? What did it mean to Peter to make this confession of faith? (Ro.10:10) How do you answer Jesus' question?
* THE SON OF MAN MUST SUFFER (31-33)
5. After hearing Peter's confession, what did Jesus teach his disciples about how he would become the Messiah? (31; cf. Is. 53:4,5; Ac.2:24; Ph.2:10,11)
6. How did Peter respond to this teaching? Why? How did Jesus rebuke him? Why do you think he used such strong language? What should we learn here?
* BASIC PRINCIPLES FOR THE CHRISTIAN LIFE (34-38)
7. Why did Jesus include the crowd with his disciples in these teachings? What must one who follows Jesus do? What does it mean to deny oneself? (Ga.5:24; 2:20) To take up one's cross? (31)
8. What happens to one who tries to save himself? How do people try to save their lives? How can one really save his life? What does "for me and for the gospel" Mean?
9. What are the answers to the questions in verses 36 and 37? In light of this, how should we live?
l0.What does Jesus say about his time? How can we live so that Jesus will not be ashamed of us when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels?