JESUS HEALS A BOY WITH AN EVIL SPIRIT
Key Verse: 9:23b
* "O UNBELIEVING GENERATION" (14-19)
1. Where had Jesus and the three disciples been? When they arrived at the foot of the mountain, what was the scene before them? How did the people respond when they saw Jesus? Why?
2. When Jesus asked them what they were arguing about, how did they respond? What might they have been arguing about?
3. How did the father describe his son's problem? What had compounded his despair? Upon hearing the man's words, what was Jesus' response? Why did he say this?
4. How did the unbelief of the religious leaders affect the people? How was the unbelief of the 9 disciples exposed? How did the father's unbelief affect him? What was the boy's real problem?
* JESUS FIRST HELPS THE FATHER'S FAITH (20-24)
5. What happened when they brought the boy to Jesus? Why did the problem intensify and what might the father have thought?
6. Why did Jesus give his attention to the father instead of to the suffering boy? What did Jesus ask the father? How does his response reveal his fear and doubt? What did he ask of Jesus?
7. Why did Jesus rebuke him instead of showing him human pity? What did Jesus teach the father about the importance of faith? Why is unbelief our most serious problem?
How did the boy's father respond? (24) What can we learn from him?
* JESUS HEALS THE BOY' POSSESSED BY AN EVIL SPIRIT (25-27)
9. How did Jesus exercise authority over the evil spirit? What can we learn here about evil spirits? About Jesus?
* PRAYER AND FAITH (28-32)
10. What did the disciples ask Jesus later? Why had they failed to cast out the evil spirit? What is prayer? What did Jesus teach his disciples in verses 30-32?