THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT
Key Verse: 12:29-30
1. Review the conflict between Jesus and the Jewish religious leaders in chapters 11 and 12. What did Jesus teach about himself? How had they tried to catch Jesus in his words and discredit him?
2. Read verse 28. What was the attitude of this teacher of the law toward Jesus? Why?
What did he ask Jesus? How was he different from the previous questioners?
3. Read verse 29. What does this phrase, “Hear, O Israel,” suggest? What does this
phrase, "the Lord our God, the Lord is one" tell us about God? (See Ge 1:1; Dt 6:4-12; Jn 14:6) Why is it important to know that there is only one true God? Why must we worship him alone? What are the dangers of idolatry in our times?
4. Read verse 30. What is the most important commandment? What does it mean to love God with all one’s heart, soul, mind and strength? Why should we love God? (Ge 1:1; Dt 7:7-10; Ex 20:2; 1Jn 4:9-10,19a) How can we show our love for God? (Jn 14:15,21,23-24)
5. Read verse 31. What is the second great commandment? How is it related to the first?
(1Jn 4:19b-21) How did God demonstrate the meaning of real love (Ro 5:8)? Why must we love those who don't seem to deserve our love? (Mt 5:43-48)
6. Read verses 32-33. How did this young teacher respond to Jesus' answer? What does
his answer reveal about him? Read verse 34. What did Jesus say about him? What does this mean? (How was this man different from the Pharisees?)