THE GOSPEL MUST FIRST BE PREACHED
Key Verse: 13:10
1. Read verses 1-2. What was the comment of one disciple as
they left the temple? How did Jesus reply? To what event or events was he
pointing? How did his view of the world differ from that of the disciples?
2. Read verses 3-4. Where was Jesus and who was with him?
What two questions did they ask Jesus? What were they thinking about?
3. Read verses 5-8. What two warnings does Jesus give us
here? What are some signs of the beginning of the end of the age? Why does
Jesus refer to these times of suffering as "birth pains?" What should
be our view of the world and history?
4. Read verses 9-13. Who will persecute Christians? Why is
this worse than earthquakes and famines? How can we turn the time of suffering
into a time of opportunity? (10) What must we do (10,13)? How do the times of
suffering become worse? What promise is given?
5. Read verse 14. To what might "the abomination that
causes desolation" refer? (Compare Daniel 9:27;11:31; 12:11) What might be
the equivalent in other times?
6. Read verses 14-23. In the terrible times, why must we flee, not going back for anything? Why is it especially difficult for pregnant women and nursing mothers? How are the times of distress described? (19-23) How does God show mindfulness of his elect? (20-23)