THE LORD’S SUPPER
Key Verse: 14:24
1. Read verses 12-16. What was the significance of
the Feast of Unleavened Bread and the Passover to the people of Israel? (Dt
16:1-7; Ex 12:1-8,12-14) What was significant about this particular Passover
(Jn 1:29; 1Co 5:7)?
2. How did Jesus and his disciples prepare to
celebrate the Passover? Why was the place so secret?
3. Read verses 17-19. What serious problem did Jesus
bring up during the Passover meal? Think about how painful this was for Jesus?
(Think about the nature of betrayal) How did the disciples respond? What does
this show about them?
4. Read verses 20-21. How did Jesus warn the
betrayer? Why? In what sense was his death the fulfillment of his Messianic
mission? (Mk 10:33, Jn 1:29; 1Cor 15:3,4) Did this excuse the betrayer? What
did Judas do? (Mk 14:43-44;14:10-11)
5. Read verse 22. While they were eating, what did
Jesus do and say? Why did he give thanks? What did the bread symbolize? What
does it mean to eat this bread? (Jn 6:35, 51,53)
6. Read verses 23-26. What did the cup symbolize? (Mt 26:28) Why “new” covenant (See footnote)? What is the effect of drinking the cup Jesus gives? (Jn 1:29) Do you have a blood covenant with Jesus? What is the result in your life?