JESUSí AUTHORITY TO FORGIVE SINS
Key Verse: 2:10
∑ SON, YOUR SINS ARE FORGIVEN (1-5)
1. Read verses 1-2. Where had Jesus been, and what had he been doing just before? Why did many uninvited people crowd into the house? (2) What did they want from Jesus? How did Jesus minister to them?
2. Read verses 3-4. When four men carrying a paralytic to Jesus could not get through the crowd, what did they do? Why might this have upset some people? What did Jesus think about their action?
3. What did they believe? How did they demonstrate their faith? What is exemplary about their friendship?
4. What did Jesus say to the paralytic? (5) What do Jesusí words suggest about the manís real problem? How is paralysis like sin?
∑ THE SON OF MAN HAS AUTHORITY TO FORGIVE SINS (6-12)
5. Read verses 6-7. Who grumbled at Jesusí words? What did they think about Jesus? Why?
6. Read verses 8-9. How did Jesus know what they were thinking? How did Jesus challenge their human thinking?
7. What did Jesus decide to do in this hostile environment? How did Jesus command the paralytic? (11) What happened to the paralytic? (12) How did the people respond? What can we learn about the authority of Jesus from this event?