Key Verse 1:21
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
1. Read verses 1-2. Who was the sender of this letter and who were the recipients? How did Paul identify himself and Timothy? Why does he bless them with grace and peace?
2. Read verses 3-8. What can we learn here about Paul’s relationship with the Christians in Philippi? (cf. Acts 16:11-40) What was his thanksgiving topic? How can he be confident about the future work of God in this uncertain world? (6)
3. Read verses 9-11. What were Paul’s prayer topics? What is the work of God that he longs to see in their lives? What is the source of love, knowledge, and insight? Why do we need these things?
4. Read verses 12-14. While Paul was imprisoned, to whom did he preach the gospel? Why might this be difficult? What was the result of his preaching?
5. Read verses 15-18a. What were the different motives that led people to be more active in preaching the gospel while Paul was in prison? Read verses 18b-26. How did Paul regard his imprisonment? What was his personal prayer topic?
6. What was Paul’s purpose of life? What was his relationship with Christ? How did his personal relationship with Jesus affect his outlook in life? (verse 21; cf. Ro 1:5; Gal 2:20) What kind of decision did Paul make? (23-26)
7. What does it mean to conduct oneself in a manner worthy of the gospel of
Christ? Why must we participate in the suffering of Christ? (29) Why was Paul