Key Verse 2:5 “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.”
1. Read verse 1. How can one be united with Christ? (cf. Ro 6:5-8; Jn 15:5) What are some results of being united with Christ? Read verse 2. How should our union with Christ affect our relations with our fellow Christians?
2. Read verses 3-4. What should not be our motive for action? How should we regard others? How is it possible to consider others better than ourselves? How can we overcome our innate selfishness?
3. Read verse 5. How can we imitate Jesus? Read verses 6-8. Who is Jesus Christ? What was his attitude? What are the marks of his humility? Of his obedience? Why did he do these things?
4. Read verses 9-11. How did God bless Jesus' humiliation? What should be the attitude of all people and our attitude toward Christ? What do we learn here about God?
5. Read verses 12-13. Why must we continue to work out our salvation? How can we do this? Read verses 14-16a. Why is complaining so bad? How can we shine like stars in the universe?
6. Read verses 16b-18. What personal trial is Paul facing? In what ways can they help and encourage him?
7. Who was Timothy? What were his qualifications for leadership? Who was Epaphroditus?
(4:18) Why does Paul say to honor men like him?