THE NEW COVENANT IN JESUS’ BLOOD
Luke 22:1-23 (Key verse: 22:20)
“In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.””
1. Read verses 1-6. What did the Passover celebration commemorate? (Ex 12:8-14) What were the religious leaders doing? Why did they want to capture Jesus when he was not with the crowd?
2. Read verses 7-13. Who prepared the Passover for Jesus and the disciples? Why was the place kept so secret? How did they find the place where Jesus would eat the Passover?
3. Read verses 14-16. Why did Jesus eagerly want to eat the Passover with his disciples? When and where would he eat with them again?
4. Read verses 17-20. How is Jesus like the Passover lamb? (Ex 12:12-13; 1Cor 5:7b) What does the cup symbolize? (Lev 17:11; Heb 9:14,22) What does the broken bread symbolize? (2Pe 1:4b) What is the new covenant in Jesus’ blood? (Jer 31:31-34)
5. Read verses 21-24. What prophecy did Jesus make? What blinded Judas to Jesus’ love? What reveals the disciples’ ignorance of themselves, and lack of understanding of Jesus?