A SAVIOR HAS BEEN BORN TO YOU
Key Verse: 2:10,11
1. Read verses 1-3. What can we learn about the world when Jesus was about to be born? What might be the purpose of the decree? What do these verses tell us about the power and authority of Caesar Augustus?
2. Read verses 4-7. Why did Joseph go to Bethlehem? (3-5) Imagine Mary’s condition and the poor surroundings when the baby was born. (5-7) What does the Scripture say about this humble beginning of the baby? (See Micah 5:2; Mt 2:6; Jn 1:14a) Contrast Emperor Caesar Augustus with the baby Jesus in a manger.
3. Read verses 8-9. Who received the honor and privilege to be the first recipients of such good news for all the people? What were they doing? (8) What can we learn from this?
4. Read verses 10-11. What was the first Christmas message from an angel for all the people? (10) Who is the baby? (11) What does it mean that he is the Savior? And the Messiah and the Lord?
5. Read verses 12-14. What was the sign to find the Savior? What can we learn from this sign about God and the way he works? What does his birth mean to you and me? What was the heaven’s reaction to the baby’s birth? Why do we celebrate his birth every year?