BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD AND OBEY IT
Luke 11:14-28 (key verse: 11:28)
“He replied, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.’”
- What was Jesus doing? (14a) What happened when the demon left? (14b) What were the responses to Jesus’ life-giving work? (14b-16) What characterized each response?
- What did Jesus know about them? (17a) How did Jesus reveal the contradiction in their claim? (17b-19) What was Jesus’ power source in driving out demons? (20; Ex 8:19) What did Jesus teach about the finger of God? What does this tell us about Jesus’ identity, and the character of his ministry?
- Who is “the strong man” and “the stronger man” and what does each do? (21-22) What does this metaphor reveal about God’s power at work through Jesus?
- How does Jesus’ warning teach the significance of having a right attitude toward him? (23) How did Jesus describe the nature and activity of an impure spirit? (24-26) Why must a repentant and forgiven sinner hold Jesus’ words in his heart?
- Read verses 27-28. How did a woman express her excitement about Jesus’ teaching and what was her point? What did Jesus teach the admiring woman about what is really important? Why is it so important to hear God’s word and obey it?