CAIN REJECTS GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY
Key Verse: 4:7
“If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.”
* ABEL AND CAIN AND THEIR OFFERINGS (1-7)
1. Read verses 1-5. Who were Cain and Abel and what sacrifices did each offer to God? How did God regard each man and his offering? Why? How did Cain react to God’s rejection of his offering? What does this show about him?
2. Read verses 6-7. How did the Lord counsel him? How does this word of God show God’s love for Cain? What can we learn from God’s words about how to deal with the sinful desires that arise in us?
* CAIN MURDERS HIS BROTHER (8-16)
3. How did Cain receive God’s word? What did he do immediately afterward? (8) What was his motive for murder? What does this suggest about the nature and cause of jealousy? (Jas 1:15)
4. Read verse 9. What question did God ask? Why? What does Cain’s response show about his attitude toward God? Toward his fellow man?
5. Read verse 10-16. How and why did God punish Cain? How did he protect him? Describe Cain’s life under God’s curse. (11-16) What does it mean to be a restless wanderer? How did Cain react to his punishment? What does this show about his inner life?
* CAIN’S DESCENDANTS (17-24)
6. What might have been Cain’s motive in building a city? What does Lamach’s family and life show about human culture without God? How did Lamech use God’s word of grace and mercy to justify his sinful actions?