FEAR GOD, NOT PEOPLE
Luke 12:1-12 (key verse: 12:5)
“But I will show whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.”
- When a large crowd gathered, to whom did he first speak and why? (1) How is hypocrisy like yeast, and why did Jesus warn his disciples about it at this moment? (11:42-43) Why is it impossible to cover up hypocrisy? (2-3)
- Read verses 4-5. Why should Jesus’ people not fear physical death? What (whom) should we fear? Why? (Heb 9:27; Rev 21:8) What does it mean to fear God? How does this help us overcome fear of men? (1Jn 4:18; Ro 8:15)
- How did Jesus explain that his disciples are valuable to God? (6-7) What can we learn about God who does not forget the sparrow and numbers the hairs on our heads? How does this help us not to be afraid?
- What does it mean to acknowledge Jesus publicly? (8) What is the consequence of disowning Jesus? (9) Why is disowning Jesus forgivable while blaspheming against the Holy Spirit unforgivable? (10)
- When brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, how should they respond? (11) Why do we not need to worry about what we will say? (12)