FORGIVENESS AND LOVE
Luke 7:36-50 (key verse: 7:47)
“Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
1. Who invited Jesus to dinner, and how did Jesus respond? (36) What does Jesus’ response show about him? What kind of woman also came? (37) What does “a sinful life” mean? What hindrances might she have confronted to come to Jesus?
2. What shocking thing did she do? (37b-38)How might her actions have embarrassed Jesus? How did Jesus receive this woman and her extravagant actions? What did the Pharisee think about Jesus’ attitude toward this woman? (39)
3. What story did Jesus tell Simon? (40-42a) How were the two men in the story different? How were they alike? What question did Jesus ask Simon and how did he answer? (42b-43)
4. How did Jesus contrast the woman’s and Simon’s attitudes toward him? (44-46) Read verse 47. What compelled the woman’s action? How is forgiveness from Jesus related to loving Jesus? What didn’t Simon know about himself and about God’s grace? (1Cor 15:10)
5. What did Jesus declare to the woman? (48) What did Jesus reveal about himself? (49; 5:24) How can we receive the grace of forgiveness? (50) What is the fruit of grace and forgiveness?