“GO AND DO LIKEWISE”
Key verse: 10:37b: “Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
- What did the expert in the law ask Jesus? (25) What was his motive? What does Jesus’ counter question imply? (26) What can we learn here about Jesus’ view of and attitude toward Law?
- How did the expert answer his own question, and what affirmation did Jesus give? (27-28a; Dt 6:5; Lev 19:18; Mk 12:29-31) What characterizes the relationship between God and his people? How did Jesus help him apply what he knew? (28b)
- What does the man’s second question show about him? (29) How did Jesus explain who his neighbor was through a parable? (30-35) Contrast the priest, the Levite, and the Samaritan. Why did Jesus make this contrast?
- What was Jesus’ last question and the expert’s honest answer? (36-37a) Read verse 37b. What direction did Jesus give him? How can you and I “go and do likewise?”
- Where did Jesus and his disciples stop? (38a; 9:51) Contrast Martha and Mary in receiving Jesus. (38-39) what was Martha’s problem? (40) How did Jesus help her? (41-42) how does this emphasize the importance of listening to Jesus?
- Through these two events, what do you learn about how we can love God and love our neighbor practically?