IN THE BEGINNING
Genesis 1:1-25 (Read 1:1-31)
Key Verse 1:1
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
1. Read 1:1. Who was “in the beginning”? What does this mean? (Ps 90:2; 102:25-27) What did God do? Why is it important for us to know that God created all things? (Isa 44:24)
2. Read verse 2. What was the state of things before God spoke? What does it mean that the earth was formless, empty and dark? How was the Spirit of God involved in the Creation? (Ps 104:30) How is this verse related to the rest of the chapter?
3. By what instrument did God create the world? (Heb 11:3) How many times do you find the phrases “and God said…and it was so”? What does this suggest about God? About his word? (Ps 33:6-9; Col 1:16; Jn 1:1-3)
4. What did God create the first day? Why is light necessary to all the other works of creation? Think about the character of God who created light. (2Co 4:6; Jn 1:4) When did he create the sun, moon and stars? What was their function? (Isaiah 40:26,28; Ps 148:1-6)
5. What did God do on the 2nd day? What is the “expanse”? How did this prepare an environment for the birds and fish? (Isa 45:18) What did he do on the 3rd day? How did this prepare an environment for animals and man? (Ps 104:14)
6. What do these verses teach about the almighty power of God? About his goodness? About his character? Read Ps 19:1-6; 104:24-33.