JESUS RESOLUTELY SET OUT FOR JERUSALEM
Luke 9:51-62 (key verse: 9:51)
“As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for
1. At this point in his ministry, what firm decision did Jesus make? (51) What must Jesus go
through before being taken up to heaven? (9:22,31,44)
2. How did Jesus prepare to go through Samaria? (52) Why did people not welcome him? (53;
Jn 4:9) How did James and John respond to the Samaritans’ rejection? (54) How did Jesus
correct them and why? (55; Eph 2:14) How did this effect Jesus’ journey? (56)
3. How did one man volunteer to follow Jesus? (57) What did Jesus want him to know about
the reality of following him? (58) How does Jesus’ own example tell us what mindset should
we have to follow Jesus?
4. How did Jesus initiate calling another man, and how did this man respond? (59) How did
Jesus emphasize the priority of proclaiming the kingdom? (60)
5. What conflict did still another volunteer have? (61) What happens when a man puts his hand
to the plow and looks back? (62) How did Jesus apply this to kingdom workers?
6. What do the three disciple candidates have in common? What does this teach us about the
cost of following Jesus and privilege of being Jesus’ disciple?