JESUS, THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE
Key Verse: 11:25, 26, 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
- Read verses 1-6. Where was Jesus when the problem arose in Bethany? What was the relationship between Jesus and the family of Lazarus? (See also Lk 10:38-41) What was the message the sisters sent to Jesus? What was the intention of the message?
- How did Jesus respond to the news? What is different about Jesus’ love and Jesus’ way of looking at the problem from that of most people?
- Read verses 7-10. When Jesus decided to go to Judea, why did the disciples not want to go? What principles of faith did Jesus teach them? What did it mean for them to see by this world’s light? (Jn. 9:5) What does it mean to walk by night, with no light?
- Read verses 11-16. What did Jesus teach his disciples about death? How is Jesus’ view of death different from that of the disciples? (1Cor 15:20-26; 56,57) What shows that the disciples were under the power of death? What was the attitude underlying Thomas’s decision?
- Read verses 17-19. What was the situation Jesus found when he arrived in Bethany? What kind of comfort were the Jews from Jerusalem giving Martha and Mary? How did Martha and Mary respond to Jesus’ arrival? How did Martha (and later, Mary) greet Jesus? (20-22, 32) How did their greeting show both confidence in Jesus and also disappointment?
- How did Jesus respond to Martha? (23) What did he intend to do? What did Jesus reveal about himself? (25-26)What did Martha believe? What inconsistency can you find between her theology and her practical faith? (23,24,28,39)
- Read verses 29-37. Think about Jesus’ meeting with Mary. How did she reveal her deep love for Jesus, and at the same time, her disappointment? How had her despair been reinforced by the Jews who came to comfort? How is Jesus’ weeping different from that of Mary and the Jews?
- Read verses 38-44. How did Martha and Jesus differ when they arrived at the tomb of Lazarus? What did Jesus teach them? How can we see the glory of God? Describe the raising of Lazarus. What does this last miraculous sign reveal to us about Jesus