JESUS THE SON WHOM GOD LOVES
Luke 3:15-38 (key verse: 3:22)
“…and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.””
1. Why did John need to clarify his identity (15)? How did he introduce Jesus and his ministry (16)?
2. Read verses 17-18. How did John exhort the people and proclaim the good news to them? Why is this message of repentance and judgment be good news?
3. Why did John rebuke Herod and how did Herod respond to John’s rebuke (19-20)? What does this say about the time?
4. Why was Jesus baptized by John (21a)? How was Jesus’ baptism different from that of the people? What happened when Jesus was praying while John baptized him (21b-22)? What is the significance of the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus? Why was God so pleased with Jesus?
5. When did Jesus begin his public ministry (23)? What was his message? (Mk 1:15)
6. Skim through the names in the genealogy (23-28). Why do you think Luke traces Jesus’ linage back to Adam and to God while Matthew only goes back to Abraham? (1 Cor. 15:22; Matthew’s gospel is written for the Jews and Luke’s gospel is written for the Greeks.)