2017 New Year’s Study
LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY OF GOD
2 Peter 3:1-18
Key Verse 3:11b-12a
“You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.”
- What was Peter’s purpose in writing these two letters (1-2)? What is “wholesome thinking” 1? What leads us to wholesome thinking (2; 1Pe 1:3,4; 2:4; 2Pe 1:4)? What promises did the prophets and the Lord Jesus Himself make about His Second Coming (Isa 29:6; Joel 2:30-31; Mt 24:30-31; Mk 14:62)?
2. Read verses 3-7. Why and how do scoffers scoff (3-4)? What truth have they forgotten (5; Ge 1:1-2, 6:5-7)? Who are the modern day scoffers? How and why will the end of the world we live in come (6,7)?
3. What do verses 8-10 teach us about God’s promise and his time schedule? Why is God patient (9)? What is the “day of the Lord”? (10, Isa 13:9; Zeph 1:18; Rev 22:20)? What does it mean “the day of the Lord will come like a thief”?
4. In light of this, what kind of people ought we to be (11-12)? What does it mean to live holy and godly lives? What is our glorious hope (13; Rev 21:1-4; 22:12-14)? Why is it important for us to “look forward to the day of God and speed its coming”?
5. With this hope, what must we do (14)? See what Paul said about God’s patience (15-16; Ro 2:4-5; 1Ti 2:3-4). How can we “be on our guard” (17)? Think about the significance of growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord (18).