NEW BIRTH INTO A LIVING HOPE 
1 Peter 1:1-12
Key Verse: 1:3
1. Read verses 1-2. How does Peter identify himself? To whom is this letter addressed? Why are God’s elect also strangers in the world? (Jn 15:18-20) Why were they “scattered?” What difference does it make that they were chosen? What were they chosen for?
2. Read verse 3. Why do we praise God? How has God revealed his great mercy? What is “a new birth”? (2Co 5:17; Eph 2:4) Why do we need a new birth? How does God bring it about? (3,23; Jn 3:3; Jn 1:12-13)
3. What is “a living hope?” (What are dead hopes?) Read verse 4. What is the nature of our inheritance? How is it different from a material inheritance? Read verse 5. How are God’s people kept and protected? Until when?
4. Read verses 6-9. Why do God’s people greatly rejoice? Why is faith of greater worth than gold? How is faith refined? With what result? (Ro 5:3-5)
5. Read verses 8-12. What is the result of loving Jesus and holding on to our faith and love in the worst of times? What is the outcome of your faith (Romans 8:23)?
6. Read verses 10-12. For what were the prophets of old searching and waiting? Why are we more privileged than they? Why are we even more privileged than angels?