PREPARE THE WAY FOR THE LORD
Luke 3:1-14 (Key Verse: 3:3)
“He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.”
1. What do the names of those Luke mentions tell us about the political situation in the times of John (1-2)? What can you learn about the spiritual condition of the nation (2a)?
2. Where and why did John live in the wilderness (2b)? What did it mean that the word of God came to him? Think about the effect the word of God has on people (1Pe 1:23-25; Heb 4:12). Think about God who began his works in the wilderness through his words.
3. Read verse 3. What were the contents of John’s message? Why did John preach a message of repentance? What does God do for those who repent (1Jn 1:9)? Think about the fundamental problems of human beings and the importance of preaching.
4.What does Isaiah 40:3-5, quoted in verses 4-6, tell us about John’s ministry? By whom will all mankind see God’s salvation (6)? Why?
5. With what stern message of repentance did John challenge the crowds coming out to be baptized by him (7-9)? How was the challenge appropriate for the religious leaders (Mt 3:7; Isa 29:13)? Think about the attitude of preacher.
6. How did the crowds respond to the message of repentance and judgment and how did John guide them (10-14)? What do the fruits of repentance mean to each person? How can we prepare our hearts for the word of God to come upon us?