THE BIRTH OF JOHN THE BAPTIST FORETOLD
Key Verse: 1:13
“But the angel said to him: ‘Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.’”
1. What was Luke’s motivation in compiling the gospel account? (1-4) Why were the birth, life and death of Jesus such epochal events in human and biblical history? (1-4)
2. In what respects was Zechariah’s life of faith like a lamp burning in dark times? What shows the darkness of the times? Why were these two old people called upright? (5,6)
3. Describe Zechariah’s encounter with the angel Gabriel. What does this event reveal about Zechariah’s prayer life? (8-13)
4. Why was John called great before God? (14-17)What was his mission? How will he prepare the way for the Lord? (17)
5. Why was Zechariah rebuked by the angel Gabriel? How did God train him and what was the purpose of the training?
6. What was Elizabeth’s confession of faith? What does this show about her faith?