THE GENEALOGY OF JESUS
Key Verse: 1:1
“A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham.”
1. Read verse 1. Whose genealogy is this? (1) Who is Jesus? Why is Jesus recognized as the son of David and the son of Abraham among many other names in the genealogy? Think about God’s promises given to Abraham and David. (Genesis 12:2; 15:5,6; 2Sa 7:12)
2. Read verse 2. What do you know about the first three names in the genealogy? How did they live to uphold God’s promises? (Heb 11:8-10,17-21)
3. Who are the five women mentioned in the genealogy? How did each one show herself to be a woman of unique faith and faithfulness? (Gen 38; Jos 2; Heb 11:31; Ru 1:14,16; 1Ki 1:11-17, 28-31; Lk 1:38)
4. What two tragic events does this genealogical history include? (1Ki 12; Mt 1:12) What led to these tragedies? (1Ki 11:1-6; 31-33; Jer 25:6-11) How could the exile to Babylon turn men’s hearts to God’s promises? (Mt 1:12-17) What can you learn from the genealogy about how God kept his promise despite man’s sin and failure?
5. What was God’s purpose for Jesus? (Mt 1:1,21,23) What did Jesus do? (Heb 12:2; 5:8,9) How did God work through him to fulfill his promises? Why is it important to know the human ancestry of the Messiah? What does the Scripture say about the extended spiritual family? (Gal 3:6-9)