THE MAGI VISITS THE MESSIAH
Key Verse: 2:2
“…and asked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.'”
1. Read verses 1-2. When and why did the Magi come? What does “his star” suggest? (Rev 2:16b; Mt 4:16) What does it mean that they came to worship?
2. Read verses 3-4. What effect did their inquiries have on King Herod and the people of Jerusalem? Why? How did Herod try to use the Magi? (7,8) Why did he fail? (12)
3. Read verses 5-6. What does this prophecy teach us about Jesus? How is King Jesus different from King Herod? (See also verses16-18)
4. Read verses 9-11. Why were the Magi so joyful to see the star and find Jesus? What was the meaning of their gifts?
5. Read verse 12. Why did the Magi return to their country by another route? What can we learn from the Magi’s pilgrimage?