THE SON OF MAN WILL BE THE SIGN TO THIS GENERATION
Luke 11:29-54 (key verse: 11:30)
“For as Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites, so also will the Son of Man be to this generation.”
- How did Jesus respond to those who asked for a sign from heaven? (16; 29) Read verse 30. How was Jonah a sign to the Ninevites? In what respect was the Son of Man to be a sign to the wicked generation? (Mt 12:40)
- Who is Jesus, compared to Solomon and to Jonah? (31-32) Why would the testimony of the Queen of the South and the men of Nineveh condemn that generation? In light of this, how should we respond to Jesus?
- Read verses 33-36. (Mt 6:22,23) What is the purpose of a lamp? What does it mean that the eye is the lamp of the body? How does one’s world view make a difference? Why were the religious leaders in spiritual darkness? How could they have a light? How can we?
- How did Jesus shock the Pharisee who invited him to dinner? (37-38) Read verses 39-41. What makes the inside of a cup dirty? How can the cup be made clean? Read verse 42. What is more important than cleaning the outside of the cup and keeping religious rules?
- Read verses 43-54. What were the attitude and goals of the Pharisees? How were they like unmarked graves? (44-45) Why are religious leaders responsible for the godlessness, injustice, and corruption of society? (46-54) (Gen 4:8; 2Ch 24:20-22)