MARK 5A – WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
Key Verse 5:19
Jesus did not let him, but said, “God home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.”
1. Read verses 1-5. What do you know about the territory where Jesus and his disciples landed? (1,2) Who met them? What was the man’s life like before he met Jesus?
2. Read verses 6-9. How did the man react to Jesus? (6-8) Why do you think Jesus asked him what his name was? What can you learn about demon-possession from verse 9b?
3. Read verses 10-17. What did the impure spirits beg Jesus for? (10-12) What were the consequences after Jesus allowed them to go into the large herd of pigs? (13,14) Why do you think Jesus allowed it to happen? What can you learn about the town’s people from their reaction (17)?
4. Read verses 18-20. How did was man’s condition changed after the impure spirits left him? (15) What was the cost of restoring his true identity from demon-possession? What mission did Jesus give him when he wanted to follow him?
5. Think about the man’s life change, from a self-destructive and anti-social troublemaker to God’s divine instrument to serve his community. What can you learn from this? How much has Jesus done for you?