WHEN GOD’S LOVE IS DOUBTED
Key Verse: 3:15
* TEMPTATION AND FALL (1-6)
1. Where does this conversation take place and who are the participants? How is the serpent described? Who does the serpent represent? What is characteristic of his nature? (3:1; Jn 8:44)
2. Observe carefully the steps in the serpent’s temptation of the woman. How did he twist the meaning of God’s word? (compare 2:16-17 with 3:1,4,5) In what respect did he lie? How did he remove the absolute from God’s word? How did he lead her to doubt God’s love?
3. How did the woman answer him? (2-3) What was her attitude toward God and his word? What were her inner desires (6)? Why did she yield to temptation? What can we learn here about how to overcome temptation? (See Mt 4:1-11)
* THE TRAGEDY OF BROKEN FELLOWSHIP (7-13)
4. Why did she give some to her husband? What was the immediate result of their eating the forbidden fruit? (7) What do you think this means?
5. When they heard God coming, what did they do? Why? How and why did God call? What was Adam’s answer? What does this conversation show about the tragedy of sin?
6. How did God confront Adam with his sin? What might Adam have done? What excuses did they make? What does this reveal about sin’s effect on relationships?
* A WORLD UNDER CURSE (14-24)
7. How did God curse the serpent? How does God’s promise in 3:15 give hope to mankind?
8. How did God punish the woman? How is her punishment related to her blessing? (1:28) What does it mean that God cursed the ground? (see Ro 8:20,21)
9. In what other way did God show his love for fallen man? How did Adam heal his relationship with his wife? Why did God drive them from the Garden?