WHO IS THE GREATEST?
Luke 9:37-50 (key verse: 9:48)
“Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.””
1. Read verses 37-40. When Jesus and three disciples came down the mountain, what situation did they encounter? (37-39)How did this father describe his son’s symptoms? How was the problem made worse by Jesus’ disciples? (40)
2. How does Jesus’ lament reveal the root problem of that generation? (41a) In what sense were they unbelieving and perverse? What is unbelief? (Ro 1:21) What are the marks of unbelief in our time? How did Jesus heal the boy? (41b-42)What was people’s response? (43a)
3. While everyone was marveling at all that Jesus did, what did he tell his disciples? (43b-44)To what should Jesus’ disciples listen carefully? Why did Jesus make this prediction? What does their response reveal about their spiritual condition? (45)
4. What were they arguing about, and what does this reveal about the disciples’ human ambition? (46; php 2:3-4) What did Jesus know about them, and how did he demonstrate true greatness? (47-48)Where does true greatness come from? What does it mean that the least is the greatest? (Mk 10:42-45; 1Co 15:9-10)
5. What was John’s problem? (49) How does Jesus’ response reveal his kingdom mindset? (50) How can this passage help you to be a truly great person?